This information was all covered on the March 24, 2020 Town Hall Strip Talk. This is nation-wide information and includes information for undocumented workers. Read on!
Covid-19 Pandemic affects dancers everywhere and our desire is to give dancers resources and information because your health and safety is our #1 priority
- We are in California but realize dancers everywhere are out of work and worried
Here is some advice and help we have to offer right now:
- Do apply for unemployment (we have a step by step video to help do this)
- Do add your income (yes, tips from dances)
- REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT YOUR CLUB TREATS YOU AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR OR AN EMPLOYEE: YOU ARE ELIGIBLE
- Apply for unemployment regardless of your employment status. IF THEY REJECT IT for any reason, APPEAL IT. They are not turning down unemployment filings right now. They know we are in a crisis.
- You will also receive the cash bail out for workers they are negotiating right now ($1K or $2k)
UNDOCUMENTED DANCERS: Questions
- Do you have a social security number?
- Do you have a green card?
- If you pay any taxes whatsovever— You ARE eligible for unemployment benefits
The Congressional Bill is for those with a social security number only
If you have no documentation and you do not pay taxes, etc:
- We have resources available for shelter, food, money
- We are finding more resources through our larger union CWA. We are working hard to get those resources to you
- We need more information about you and your situation
- Please look out for our survey (COMNG SOON) and fill it out so we can best help you right now
- HEALTH AND SAFETY #1 priority
- We need a plan.
- We have to prepare for a “back to work” order from the current occupant of the white house, who has zero knowledge of this pandemic.
- We need to prepare ourselves AS A WORKFORCE for clubs to open prematurely in order to line their pockets.
- Ideas? We should have a plan and list of demands or refuse to work. This is an opportunity to organize nationally
- Forcing dancers to work during a pandemic is cruel and unusual.
Here are some resources we have now for dancers through our networks:
Coronavirus Resource Kit – Mutual Aid info
Venmo for Donations: @SWOP-LA
Link to application:
Link to full info: